Elementary

September 21st, 2011

Web Wed.

Posted by sasha in Uncategorized

So, we’re all done with our second Web Wednesday! I was significantly less stressed out this time, since I brought my laptop along with me. I have a nice spot in the Student Union in my club room (SciFi Anime Club! Come visit us, we’re a really active club!) and I finished my work in a very timely manner.

I was surprised when we were to comment on Second Life. o__o  I didn’t know that there were classes actually being conducted in the game. I play a lot of MMRPG’s online, at least I used to, so this was a surprise to me. These things are massively distracting! They literally suck you in. You’d think that being absorbed in something would help you to focus…that it’s a great way to get students to focus on the classwork online, but it’s more like…you’re absorbed in the gaming aspect. For a bit of a shameful example, I’m guilty of checking my favorite online blogs while ignoring the Eng170w blog and twitter. ): And adding on to this, one of the learning goals is, “Understand the conventions of and appreciate the skills required for the English major.” Well, Second Life certainly isn’t a conventional tool for English majors! It was fun to learn about it, and I appreciated that it’s a possible way for students to study and experience literature.

I think that in today’s Web Wednesday, we accomplished the goal, “Effectively use web-based technologies in order to read and publish academic writing.” We did web-based research on Second Life, and now we’re commenting on it. We also analyzed the Yeats poem together online, and published our interpretations of word’s connotations and denotations. Have I understood the goals properly? o___o I think I spent most of the first Web Wednesday just learning the ropes of having class online. Now that I’ve got the tech aspects pretty much down-pact, I feel like I learned a more, literature-wise, or maybe even more so English Major-wise. I think the highlight of the class was the Second Life mini-lesson. I learned that there are different ways to study literature, whether it be out hybrid way, the traditional way, or the Second Life way, totally engrossed in the virtual world…That’s kind of scary, isn’t it?

Ok, I for one, welcome our new computer overlords. D:

6 Responses to ' Web Wed. '

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to ' Web Wed. '.

1.    mikadroz said,

on September 22nd, 2011 at 11:52 pm

As do I, lol!

I get what you mean about learning the ropes for the first class– that was fun, but far more hectic than the most recent one. I’d never imagined using Second Life for a class, but it’s a really intriguing one! It’s also a very relevant issue, considering the nature of our hybrid class.

2.    Jerry said,

on September 25th, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I agree it is kind of crazy that in some institutions they use online “sims” type of gaming world to teach courses. Although it can be revolutionary it just sounds like a good idea that will most likely conclude with bad results.

-PA_e

3. on July 18th, 2015 at 7:40 pm

online bingo websites

4.    Lynnette Almos said,

on May 19th, 2016 at 3:50 am

Lynnette Almos

Elementary » Web Wed.

5.    Anderson said,

on May 19th, 2016 at 7:00 pm

Anderson

Elementary » Web Wed.

6.    Dusty Hemsath said,

on May 20th, 2016 at 1:39 am

Dusty Hemsath

Elementary » Web Wed.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.